Mrs Nash is the class teacher in Acorns, supported by Mrs Startup. For children in early years education, there is an emphasis on learning through play and independent activity that goes alongside. This is designed to develop the foundational skills that the children will need in order to develop as successful learners. Therefore, children engage in activities that support the development of social and emotional skills, alongside their phonics, writing and number development.
A typical day for the children in the Acorns class is made up of many different elements: talking and listening, reading and writing activities, stories and poetry, art and craft , developing mathematical and scientific skills and knowledge, religious education, P.E. and music. These are usually organised around a particular theme (e.g. 'Weather' or 'Space' ). These themes usually last about a term and incorporate all aspects of the curriculum. The security offered by the firm yet happy setting of our Acorns class enables the children’s educational foundations to be established.
Thank you for all your support
Mrs Nash and Mrs Startup
Our focus for this term is: Fabulous Food
We will be:
- Finding out and exploring how food is produced locally, including the role of farming.
- Explore the range of plants in the local environment.
- Creating our own Farm Shop and Cafe.
- Cooking biscuits, bread, making smoothies and popcorn.
- Testing conditions for seed germination.
- Planting seeds, growing cress and beans.
- For our ‘fabulous finish’ we will be visiting the gardens at Great Dixter
Please could we have:
Empty packets for our 3D shape display.
Packets from countries that we can put on our World map.
Class teacher: Mrs Nash
Teaching assistant: Mrs Startup
- Please sign your child's reading record every evening, after hearing them read and put it in their book bag every day
- Please make sure that your child has their coat with them in school
- Children need their wellington boots in school for any visits to our woods
- PE is every Wednesday - please make sure that your child has their PE kit in school for their lesson