The Evergreens class is for our year 5 and 6 pupils. Miss Broomhead is the class teacher, supported by Mrs Bettley. Pupils in Evergreens take on many responsibilities within the school, such as being 'school ambassadors', 'reading buddies', 'sports leaders' and operating the Audio Visual equipment in our whole-school worship times.
For our children at the top end of the school, developing a greater sense of ownership of their learning is vitally important. Our Evergreen pupils will regularly be involved in assessing their work alongside the teacher and using this to gain a clear understanding of their progress. As the pupils at the top end of the school there is a strong awareness of the demands of the National Curriculum tests, which are taken in Year 6. Pupils work hard alongside Miss Broomhead and Mrs Bettley to prepare for these end of Key Stage 2 tests, regularly monitoring their progress towards them.
Our Year 6 pupils also spend time throughout the year preparing to move on to the next stage of their education into secondary school. We work very closely with all of the local secondary schools and academies to ensure that this transition is a positive and exciting experience for our children.
The Evergreen class enjoy a 5 day residential experience, once every two years, which is always a wonderful opportunity for them to develop and grow in confidence, independence, teamwork and creative problem solving.
Miss Broomhead and Mrs Bettley
Our focus for this term: Coasts
- 'Imagine that England is covered by water, and Norwich is an island...' we will be studying the dramatic novel 'Floodland', which sees Zoe desperately fighting for survival among marauding gangs.
- We will be studying coasts from around the UK and on a global scale. Looking at how they are formed, and how they are used today - especially for tourists and trade.
- As well as coasts we will be describing and understanding key aspects of physical geography, including: climate zones, biomes and vegetation belts, rivers and the water cycle
Please could we have:
Beach items: pebbles, shells, dried seaweed, driftwood.
Class teacher: Miss Broomhead
Teaching assistant: Mrs Bettley
- Please ensure your child reads at least three times a week, and records it in their reading record.
- Homework is given out every Friday (maths, spellings, reading and topic) and is expected back the following Wednesday.
- PE is every Wednesday and Friday - please make sure that your child has their PE kit in school for their lesson.
- Spellings and timestables are assessed every Friday, so please ensure your child practises these all week.