Curriculum Intent for Reading
At Beckley CE Primary School we passionately believe that a love of books enlarges a child’s world. We strive to ensure that all our students become lifelong readers, allowing them to be Successful Learners in their future. We believe all children should be Confident Individuals to read fluently, and to access a wide range of texts, deepening their understanding of the world around them, and encouraging them to be Caring Citizens of that world. This, coupled with exposing them to rich and exciting stories, will promote a love of reading and the escapism it can offer, to Let their Light Shine Brightly in all they do, now and in their futures.
We believe that all pupils should be able to confidently communicate their knowledge, ideas and emotions about their reading. Pupils are supported to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment, as well as through our rich text approach to writing.
We wish for our Reading provision to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate