Children in Red Maple build upon the foundations of learning they have developed in their early years and begin to apply their skills and knowledge to a more extensive range of situations.
The pupils in Year 2 are statutorily assessed in the summer, using national curriculum tasks and tests to support teacher assessment, and these results are reported to parents.
Mr Little and Mrs Startup.
Our theme for Terms 5 and 6 is:
What a Wonderful World!
Our stunning start to the topic will be a trip to Great Dixter.
Our topic will include:
- Rich Texts - 'The Snail and The Whale' (Julia Donaldson) and '10 Things I Can Do To Help My World
- A look into the history of travel and transportation, and the reasons why explorers choose to travel the world.
- Finding out about the beautiful seasides of the UK, including how they have changed over time.
- Learning the parts of the plant, and investigating what they need in order to grow properly.
- Researching the environment, how we can keep the world clean and tidy, and why it is so important to look after our wonderful world!
Class teacher: Mr Little
Teaching assistant: Mrs Startup
- Please sign your child's reading record every evening, after hearing them read and put it in their book bag every day.
- Every term a grid of homework tasks will be sent home for children to complete over the term. Children are encouraged to choose a minimum of 4 tasks (please feel free to complete more). Homework must be in by the Monday of the last week of tern so we can share and celebrate. UPDATE FOR TERM 5 - Due to Year 2 sitting their End of Key Stage 1 Assessments (SATs) at the end of May, weekly maths homework will be sent home for children to practice the skills and methods taught. Please bring homework books in weekly. your child may complete any tasks on the grid as well if they wish.
- New spellings are given each Friday, with a test the following Friday.
- Please make sure that your child has their coat with them in school.
- Children need their wellington boots in school for any visits to our woods.
- PE is now every Thursday - please make sure that your child has their full PE kit in school for every lesson.