Miss Bolton and Mrs Williams are the class teachers for Red Maple, where Mrs Williams is the teaching assistant on the days she doesn't teach. Miss Bolton teaches on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday with Mrs Williams teaching on Wednesdays.
As Year 1 & 2 children are in the same class their work is carefully differentiated to allow for differences in age, experience and ability. Children in Red Maple build upon the foundations of learning they have developed in their early years and begin to apply their skills and knowledge to a more extensive range of situations.
The pupils in Year 2 are statutorily assessed in the summer, using national curriculum tasks and tests to support teacher assessment, and these results are reported to parents.
Mrs Williams and Miss Bolton.
Our theme for terms 5 and 6 is:
Dungeons and Dragons!
Our stunning start to the topic will be a trip to Bodiam Castle.
During this topic we will learn about:
castles - features, the people who lived in them, knights (Saint George), Royal families (Royal wedding, Queens birthday)
rich texts of The Littlest Knight, The Paper Bag Princess, Ignis, The Queens Knickers
- trebuchets, bows and arrows, waterproofness without plastic, through scientific experiments involving tests, predictions, recording, analysing results and making links
sketch maps, google maps, local area, UK, compass directions
sketching and watercolours of Bodiam Castle, look at significant artists, Paul Klee and Turner, design and make own castles including all the features we have learnt about
linking with the school theme of compassion we will be learning about significant Bible Stories in RE
The 'Fabulous Finish' in term 6 will be a museum of all the children's work for the parents and other classes to tour view and interact with
Please could we have:
- small sturdy cardboard boxes for making our castles (one per child)
- any knights/kings/queens costumes to borrow during these two terms
Class teacher: Miss Bolton (4 days) and Mrs Williams (1 day)
Teaching assistant: Mrs Williams
- Please sign your child's reading record every evening, after hearing them read and put it in their book bag every day
- Homework is set on a Friday and should be in the following Wednesday for marking
- New spellings are given each Monday with a test on Fridays
- Please make sure that your child has their coat with them in school
- Children need their wellington boots in school for any visits to our woods
- PE is now every Monday and Thursday - please make sure that your child has their full PE kit in school for every lesson