Children in Red Maple build upon the foundations of learning they have developed in their early years and begin to apply their skills and knowledge to a more extensive range of situations.
The pupils in Year 2 are statutorily assessed in the summer, using national curriculum tasks and tests to support teacher assessment, and these results are reported to parents.
Mr Little, Miss Piper and Mr Bettley
Our theme for Terms 5 and 6 is:
What Makes A Hero?
Our topic will include:
- Learning about fictional heroes, creating our own hero characters, planning our origin story, villain battles, and maybe some epic team-ups!
- Learning about the history of toys and how they have changed (or not) over many years.
- Learning about plants, including the different parts of the plant, and investigating what they need to grow
Class teacher: Mr Little
Teaching assistant: Miss Piper
Individual Needs Assistant: Mr Bettley
- Please sign your child's reading record every evening, after hearing them read and put it in their book bag every day.
- Every term a grid of homework tasks will be sent home for children to complete over the term. Children are encouraged to choose a minimum of 4 tasks (please feel free to complete more). Homework must be in by the Monday of the last week of term so we can share and celebrate.
- New spellings are given each Friday, with a test the following Friday.
- Please make sure that your child has their coat with them in school.
- Children need their wellington boots in school for any visits to our woods.
- PE is now every Thursday - please make sure that your child has their full PE kit in school for every lesson.
Red Maple Homework Grid Term 4
LEARNING FROM HOME
Below is a list of suggestions for continuing your child’s learning at home. Other ideas will be added to this page over the course of the closure. Please feel free to use your own initiative and follow your child’s learning interests, but please record as much as you can. If there are any issues, please contact me and I will try to respond as soon as possible (contact your BSA Class Rep for details)
Watch our updates on Youtube!
General Learning Ideas:
- Here is a list of Useful Websites for a range of subjects.
- Completing activities on Mathletics (Not just the games!) - login cards have been sent home with children
- Reading as much as possible and many types of books- here are some Questions When Reading with your child and Reading Sentence Starters for your child to use when answering (if you require further books to read, Twinkl Original books can be accessed on their website, and also come with a range of learning opportunities across the curriculum)
- E-Books can also be downloaded from the library
- Audiobooks - Audible (an Amazon Company) are making a range of audiobooks free to listen to (no need to sign up)
- Learning spelling of Common Exception Words (words which do not always follow the usual spelling patterns and rules)
- Learning Times Tables and quick recall - 2’s, 5’s and 10’s (Year 2 can work on 3’s if they are confident with these)
- Purple Mash – to either link in with specific subjects or for your children’s own learning and interests - login cards have been sent home with children
- Twinkl School Closure Interactive Learning Links (Year 1)
- Twinkl School Closure Interactive Learning Links (Year 2)
- Some children have expressed concern they might not see their friends for a while - write them a letter! Now you have a pen pal! (Please share addresses securely)
- Red Maple love PrimaryGames!
- Pobble365.com has a daily image as an inspiration for a range of literacy and writing opportunities.
Term 6 Update - Assignment 1 - You may need to turn the volume up for the first part!
Week Beginning 6th July
Week Beginning 13th July
Learning From Home Video Gallery